2.27.2013

Olive plant

Many years ago on Santa Fe Ave south of Walnut ave in Visalia. There was an olive plant, I have no details about the plant at all whatsoever. But I do know, that in present day it is no longer an olive plant. The plant has actually lost its walls and all you see is the bare chassis of the buildings. The property is very large, which I assume that it was a happening place at one point. Now many years later or not, a group of skaters decided that they need this place to skate. And what do skaters do, they skate wherever they feel is a good spot. Then little by little with the little money they had they began to buy concrete and bring in materials to build their own little "skatepark". It has been three weeks since their initial beginning and lots of progress has been made. There is a spine, a taco hump, a pyramid/box couple rails and ledges. This may be gibberish to you but not to skaters. That alone is a big accomplishment.
In the many many years of skating this is the first time I am able to experience and see something this great happening. This is something that I wish I could've been a part of back when I was in the prime of my skating. Still glad I can still somewhat be involved in my own way.
The Sunday I spent there was nostalgic, there was a small group of friends and this awesome spot. All skating 10/10 hoping to go home hoping that today was a day one of them finally rolled away from the smith revert they put so much effort in to. Such a great feeling to learn something new.
I spoke to several kids about this spot and each one was so passionate about it. Telling me all the hard work they have put into it and all the plans for future obstacles. This really pumped me up a lot that I decided to take pictures and help spread the word. I then brought out my film slr and shot these kids having an ordinary day at the olive plant. I got several good shots of each kid there. I didn't have the opportunity to finish the roll which is why I don't have magical shots to show today. All I know is that I have a good feeling about this spot and hope for this place to grow.

www.skatechowder.blogspot.com is the blog one of the skaters runs, he is heavily involved in the creation of this spot. He has a ton of cool shots of the plant and the skating. Check it out. I am going to try and work with them to attempt to have a way for people to have an option to make donations that would help out on funds for gathering supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment